Vulnerable web-facing applications are rapidly becoming the most popular attack vector of malicious hackers. Application code vulnerabilities and design flaws are the new battleground in information security. Vulnerabilities in content-rich, web-based, thick-client, and mobile apps can be targeted to penetrate networks and steal sensitive information. To mitigate these threats, application security assessments need to be built into the development and release lifecycle of every application.
Our application security assessments identify weaknesses in your proprietary or third-party applications and propose fixes that will enhance your system’s security posture. We leverage leading tools and conduct targeted, expert manual analysis of your application to diagnose threat susceptibility, providing you with repeatable, measurable, transparent, and actionable results.
Coalfire Labs conducts application security assessments of custom-developed and third-party applications for government agencies, Fortune 500 companies, and cloud service providers. In evaluating hundreds of technology stacks, we have developed a comprehensive approach to analyzing solutions and built standard frameworks to completely custom implementations.
Coalfire’s application security assessment services include:
Web Application Assessments
- Assess your application from an adversarial standpoint
- Evaluate your application for misconfigurations, logic attacks, and input validation issues
Application Program Interfaces (APIs)
- Perform in-depth API mapping and manual analysis
- Ensure consistent boundary checking for API requests
- Evaluate your APIs for misconfigurations, logic attacks, and input validation issues
Mobile Applications (iOS, Android, Windows Phone)
- Analyze application data storage routines
- Evaluate the usage of platform protections
- Identify permission boundary checking and analysis
Thick Application Clients and Interfaces
- Analyze network traffic patterns for external communications
- Reverse engineering application to determine if vulnerabilities exist
- Conduct input validation checking and fuzzing activities
Static Source Code Analysis
- Evaluate code quality and implementation from both functional and security perspectives
- Manually verify findings and provide context as necessary
- Develop proof of concept code to show impact of vulnerabilities
We utilize best practices for application security testing including the relevant Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) testing guidelines to identify the following:
- Configuration Flaws
- Session Management Issues
- Application Authentication Mechanisms
- Business and Application Logic Assumptions
- Input Validation Issues
Why Choose Coalfire for your Application Security Assessment
Safeguard your applications from security threats with our experience and expertise:
Full Exploration of Vulnerabilities: While some providers rely heavily on automated assessment tools, we also include expert manual reviews, adversarial analyses, and tailored manual techniques to fully explore identified vulnerabilities.
Time-Efficient Process: We maintain your project timeframe by sampling and evaluating the urgencies of potential vulnerabilities to prioritize assessment execution, maximizing the information you receive in the time available.
- Deep Insight: We provide valuable insights into discovered vulnerabilities, potential attack paths, projected business impact, and actionable remediation steps.